Saturday, November 5, 2022

Hello Fear

No pictures on this one, as it was an internal journey. You won't hurt my feelings if you skip this one, I'm really posting this one reflectively.

At several points on this journey, I have experienced high anxiety. Leaving the security of traveling with my ILTexas work comrades was definetly a high point, and preparing to leave Korea for Japan.

As I was freaking out a bit, I reached out to some  amazing women I met at the TempleStay, who travel alone quite regularly, and they talked me off the ledge and reminded me to breathe. I also texted my sister Kris, who traveled in Japan about 15 yrs ago, who lives Japanese culture, and she stated sending me little travel tips that gave me a little confidence.

Revelation #1) Have a good support group

 But here's the more impactful thing: As I arrived, and started getting everything situated, I realized that I wasn't scared about anything that had to do with my health or safety. All my anxiety was around being embarrassed, lost, or committing a costly mistake (like missing a hotel reservation, and losing the money I'd already paid). Sure, those things might be uncomfortable, but no dangerous. 

At the end of the day, money isn't that high on my priority list, and if I was completely embarrassed, I don't know anyone here. Plus, that kind of thing usually makes the best anecdotes.  So why was I letting things that just aren't that important cause me such discomfort? How many times in my life have I stepped back from experiencing something fun, exciting or new because of similar fears?

Revelation 2: Be honest about what's causing the fear/anxiety.

Revelation 3: Once you know the fear, give it a little wave, and then go do, be, live...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another day, another adventure

On the beautiful island of Puerto Rico with Andrea and Kevin. First beverage in hand! Already confronting cultural differences with a cockfi...