Thursday, November 3, 2022

Temple Stay - part 2

What an incredible experience! 

I am so glad i picked the temple with Sumudo training. Its a combination of meditation,  Qi Gong, Gymnastics, Yoga, and Martial Arts. The training was no joke,  although they always gave you the "beginner" version of the move.  For those of you who were worried that i wasn't in good enough shape for the trip,  you were partially right! 

However, after just a few days,  I already felt stronger and more energetic.

Here's the daily schedule:

5:00 am - wake up to a monk chanting on a loud speaker. Don your temple clothing,  brush your teeth and start the trek up the mountain to the temple.
5:30 - morning prayers
6:00 - sitting and walking meditation
6:30 - breakfast
9:00 - Sunmudo training (mornings were yoga like for the most part, but we also practiced kicks)
11:15 - ring the dharma bell
11:30 - lunch
2:00 - seated meditation
3:00 - Sunmudo demonstration
4:00 - Sunmudo training (even more vigorous, but so energizing)
5:30 - optional 108 prostrations
6:00 - dinner
9:00 - lights out (I didn't stay up past 8 any night I was there)

Me, listening to the vibrations of the bell
Ringing the bell
(Add)

Dinner:
Seated on pillows at low tables. All vegetarian, as you'd expect. These huge rice steamers, and several side dishes.  Always a fruit (banana,  apple, kiwi, honeydew, tangerine). The usual water to drink.  You can have a much as you want,  but you finish everything on your plate. Everyone does their own dishes. 


I'll pst more about the temple itself in the next post,  but let me end this one by sharing that I'm eternally grateful to have been given this opportunity.  I know that spiritual awareness and self-discovery are two facets of a lifelong journey, not a tourist destination. I'm blessed that my journey led me here,  even for a short while.  There are many things I have lost sight of in my life,  and it's been impactful to have had this experience. 

Finally, I am grateful for the people I met at the temple. Everyone from monks to guests were genuine,  kind,  and welcoming.  Different languages,  lifestyles, home countries,  but we found it easy to connect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another day, another adventure

On the beautiful island of Puerto Rico with Andrea and Kevin. First beverage in hand! Already confronting cultural differences with a cockfi...