Friday, November 4, 2022

Xavier

One of the true highlights of the trip was getting to reconnect with a 2020 ILTexas grad, Xavier. 

Hes attending an International school in Seoul, and thriving. 

We had a great visit over Starbucks this morning,  and then he assisted me in getting on the correct subway for the airport. And I don't mean just helping me find the right train; he toted my big bag up and down stairs...lots of stairs. 

It was really great to  see how well he's doing,  and fun to share our obsevations and interpretations of Korean cultute.

For my ILTx peeps:
Xavi said that his study of Chinese gave him a solid base on communicating when he got to Korea. He took  the China summer trip,  which helped him prepare for International travel. And our multicultural focus really helped him be more aware of the subtle clues that helped him acclimate. (I'm paraphrasing)

He also said that his school in Korea did a great job of orienting him to both the campus,  and to Seoul. It's an International school,  so his classes are in English, but he's already picked up conversational Korean, and will take some intensive language classes, because he's planning to settle in Seoul permanently.  He also is willing to talk with any current students who are interested in a university outside the US.

For my Rotary peeps:
Xavier was one of our sponsorees to RYLA in 2019. He told me that RYLA had a deep and lasting impact on him.  He felt it helped him reconnect to a basic empathy for others that he had as a child, but had lost sight of a bit as a teen.  He asked me to tell you thank you for the opportunity. 

For Ms. Alexander:
Thanks for being the kind of educator that makes an impact on students, so that they keep in touch with you even after graduating.  I'm so grateful that you helped me reconnect with this exceptional young man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another day, another adventure

On the beautiful island of Puerto Rico with Andrea and Kevin. First beverage in hand! Already confronting cultural differences with a cockfi...